LEON COUNTY - Florida's Capital County
Leon County Logo Volunteer Day Street Activity Image of Lake Munson Image of the Courthouse
Image of an Azela Bush Image of a kid getting their face painted
Online Services
Community Resources
left border

spacer image
bullet Leon County Home Page
spacer image
bulletDevelopment Support & Environmental Management
spacer image spacer image
spacer image
spacer image
spacer image
spacer image
spacer image
spacer image
spacer image
spacer image
spacer image
spacer image
spacer image
spacer image


right side line art

Leon County, Growth & Environmental Management


When are the Leon County Contractor's Licensing Board regular scheduled meetings?
The Contractors' Licensing Board meets the first Thursday of every month at 4:30 pm in the Conference Room on the 2nd floor of the Renaissance Building.  The Renaissance Building is located at 435 North Macomb Street, Tallahassee, Florida.


Where do I get a Business Tax Receipt for a business?
Effective October 1, 2009, Leon County no longer issues Business Tax Receipts.  If your address is located within the City of Tallahassee, you will need to go to the Revenue Division at the City of Tallahassee, 435 N. Macomb Street, First Floor of the Renaissance Building.  It is important to understand that this is not a contractor's license.

If I am the owner of a company and have no employees, can I file Workers Compensation Exemption with the State?

Who do I contact to get an Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC or Mechanical License?
You need to contact the Department of Business and Professional Regulations (BPR) since the City of Tallahassee Building Department no longer registers contractors.  You must obtain a State Certified License in these categories.

Does Leon County reciprocate contractor licenses with other counties?
Yes, Leon County reciprocate licenses (Residential, Building, General, Swimming Pool and Roofing) with all counties, except Broward and Dade.  Reciprocity is also based on whether the applicant has taken an exam comparable to what Leon County requires and made a passing grade of at least 70.0%.

What type of insurance must a Residential, Building or General Contractor need to have in order to work in Leon County?
Residential, Swimming Pool and Roofing - $100,000 General Liability and Workers Compensation;  Building and General - $300,000 General Liability and Workers Compensation.

What do I need to do to become a licensed  Residential, Building, General, Swimming Pool, or Roofing Contractor?
An application must be completed and approved by the Contractors' Licensing and Examination Board.  Once the application is approved, an exam date will be scheduled.

I would like to complain about the contractor that built my house.  How do I place a complaint against the contractor?
You will need to submit a written complaint to the Leon County Contractors' Licensing and Examination Board.  Please call the Licensing Administrator at 606-1300.

Do you have questions regarding a Contractor?
Is the Contractor licensed?
Is the Contractor registered with Leon County?
Is the Contractor properly licensed to do the work?
Has the Contractor had any complaints filed against them?

If you are in doubt, inquire with the Leon County Contractors' Licensing and Examination Board at (850) 606-1300.

body line art

                                            Privacy & Accessibility Policy             Send Comments